Wednesday 5 February 2020

Why do I draw food?



Food illustration is a "thing" I came to love just recently.
But there is a longer story.

As a young adult, I spent nearly 10 years battling with food disorders and, why not, depression. 
At 15 I was in my town hospital, 32 kg and a iron will to not to let me talk out of my decisions.
Well, one simple decision:
 food is bad and I am not dealing with it. It makes me feel heavy, 
look fat and not be wanted.
A long way I have come from that, and thanks God I am totally recovered.


Yet, a few years ago, while deep into my art practice, I noticed some curious
  traits of my personality: if I was deep into my work, and I felt thirsty or hangry,
 I wouldn't let me follow this needs, and carried on in my job. 
Eventually, I realized that this was another sign of lack of care, 
and I began a long journey of self love.



And here, food played again a big role:
 Cooking for myself even the simplest meal had the impact of a big act of care.
Plus, if I felt some how uninspired that day,
 cooking was a real creative 
(and almost always rewarding ) go-to activity.


You see, I am Italian of origin, and food culture runs in our veins... 
Our parents (and specially older generations) are people who think of a meal 
not as a pre-prepared food, but as a time spent in a place ( usually the kitchen) 
with a certain atmosphere and certain people around, 
taking raw ingredients and let them mix and emanates the most delicious flavours, 
which memory will never forget.
I always thought this was normal, but living abroad,
 and considering the lack of time that many of us increasingly experience, 
I came to treasure this aspect : more than a mere need, food is an experience.



Now, as I am interested in illustration related to kids, and I started asking myself :
how is the food experience for them?
Soon I came to the conclusion that too often it wasn't the best, 
not even healthy, and that most of the kids I could approach, 
hadn't been even enough lucky to see an adult properly creating a meal.
No memories of how an onion becomes a delicious flavour, 
or how is better to prepare the filling of tortelli the day before, so the dish will have a greater flavour.



All this said, it has been very clear to me that I had all the elements
of setting off for the journey
to make food become again the great adventure it really is.



I try to draw stories, and the fun, quirky combinations that I love
  around food, and I think this theme
can lead to so many different connections...
to self care, tradition, innovation and mostly, 
appreciation for what the Mother Earth gives us:
life together with the chance to be creative in a healthy and respectful way!




NOTES:
Interesting books about food: 
Foraging and Feasting, an inspiring book about how to find and use wildfood
Baking day at Granma's, a lovely picture book

Blogs ( I am sorry , but I love Italian ones !):
Giallo zafferano, the best of Italian cooking
Mi piace mi fa bene, healthy and tasty food
L'Araba felice in cucina, recipes and funny stories

Instagram accounts:
They draw and cook, the best collection of food illustration
Thabhita Hawkins, an Instagram account of a food stylist photographer

Creative approach :
Erica Liverani, italian chef that often cooks with her little daughter
Andrea Animates, amazing felt art

Well, by now you must be feeling a bit hungry!









No comments:

Post a Comment